Real Estate Rainmaker

Take your lead generation by storm!

How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Time

facebook How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Timetwitter How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Timegoogle How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Timelinkedin How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Timeemail How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Timeprint How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Time

We’ve been hearing a lot from our customers about the proposed Zillow+Trulia merger. Who can blame them?

As Steve Murray of REAL Trends was quoted by Bloomberg, “Zillow has locked up the absolute dominate position in online real estate in United States.”

When #1 gobbles up #2 to control nearly 50-70% of the online lead market, there is cause for consternation. Traffic stats vary. For August 2014, comScore who tracks online visitors in the real estate category reported Zillow got 43% of 95.8 million monthly visitors, Trulia pulled in 25% (combined 68%), Realtor.com attracted 19%, Homes.com 9%, and Redfin about 5% of total traffic. On September 1, the Top 15 Most Popular Real Estate Websites ranked by eBizMBA reported estimated unique monthly visitors was 123 million and Zillow got 29.3%, Trulia 18.7% (combined 48%), Yahoo!Homes 16.3%, Realtor.com 14.6%, and RedFin 4.9%. The remaining 10 had 16.2% of estimated visitors combined. How ever you count visitors, clearly Zillow+Trulia will be the giant that captures most of the property search “leads” out there.

What’s the “Little Guy” to do?

The answer lies in a comment by Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff in an interview with RE/MAX’s Dave Lininger in late August after the Zillow+Trulia announcement in late July. Rascoff noted that out of the $12 billion a year agents spend on property advertising and marketing, only 4% is spent with Zillow+Trulia in online advertising. As Rascoff pointed out, 96% of agent marketing is spent elsewhere, and mostly offline. (REAL Trends estimates the real estate marketing pie at $6 billion annually, according to the Wall Street Journal.)

How exactly can the Little Guy beat the giant portals to prospects?

The one-word answer is: Pre-Leads.

The secret to survival before the “Zulia” deal closes sometime next year – and after – is for local agents to work their local databases harder and smarter than ever before. Pre-leads are early-stage local people who need a lightning-quick response to their inquiry from a local agent to buy or sell, as contrasted with a virtual website visitor.

Where do agents find pre-leads?

Pre-leads are simply past clients, sphere, and local prospects agents already know – or want to know in the case of expireds, FSBOs and targeted farms. Connecting intelligently to all three local databases simultaneously is the key. When agents work their (1) Postal Database where people live (address, city, state, zip) and their (2) Email Database where people communicate (via email), and their (3) Social Networks (where people share viral referrals) the Little Guy can beat the giant portals every time to “pre-leads” – local people who are most likely to buy and sell with the agent.

The essential technique is to “fish upstream” because that is where the fish are hungriest. The secret is to connect with local prospects before and after they click on the listing portals to see homes for sale. And, click they will. Don’t get me wrong.  Refreshing a database with new buyer prospects is certainly smart, and, after all, some buyer prospects will have a home to sell too. Capturing buyers from home search registrations is what the advertising portals do best…just like the duty desk captured calls from classified advertising back in the day.

Focus on People, Not Property

Capturing early-stage prospects – or “pre-leads” – will be even more valuable to the most successful Rainmakers tomorrow — as the advertising portals siphon off more buyer search leads.

After all, generating hyperlocal pre-leads is what the Little Guy does best. How? The little guy has local fingers on the smartphone and local shoes on the street to help local sellers learn the true value of their homes and help local buyers negotiate for the dream homes they saw online.

Nobody engages local prospects better than the Little Guy. Nobody guides their buyers and sellers every step of the way through closing better than the Little Guy. No listing portal can compete with that personal relationship. To specialize in people — not property — successful real estate agents must work the only target that is truly valuable: the customer.

Simply put, agents must focus on local pre-leads who rise out of the people they already know. Work your Postal Database, your Email Database and your Social Networks together and you’ll catch a boatload of local pre-leads every time before the giant portals get a chance to sell the “leads” back to you.

First published in REALTrends News, October 2014. To see article online or download PDF click here.

 How The Little Guy Can Beat The Giant Portals Every Time

Dan Gooder Richard

Dan is the President/Founder of GOODER GROUP - RAINMAKER LEAD SYSTEM. He is also the author of two successful Real Estate books: REAL ESTATE RAINMAKER: Successful Strategies For Real Estate Marketing (Wiley) and REAL ESTATE RAINMAKER: Guide To Online Marketing (Wiley).

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn

Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile-Optimized Blog Design

facebook Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design twitter Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design google Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design linkedin Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design email Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design print Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design


Today, October 1st we launched our new responsive design for Real Estate Rainmaker.

What does this mean for you? It means that our blog is now equally accessible to mobile devices, as it currently is to desktops, giving you, our reader and busy on-the-go real estate professional, unparalleled access to our helpful e-mail marketing lessons and tips which will propel you ahead of your competition from anywhere.

Pull out your phone and try it today!

 

 Just Launched: Real Estate Rainmaker Mobile Optimized Blog Design

Jesse Hickman

Jesse is the leading expert on social media at the Gooder Group and a frequent contributor to Real Estate Rainmaker.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn

By Permission Only: Email Marketing

facebook By Permission Only: Email Marketingtwitter By Permission Only: Email Marketinggoogle By Permission Only: Email Marketinglinkedin By Permission Only: Email Marketingemail By Permission Only: Email Marketingprint By Permission Only: Email Marketing

E-mail marketing has increased at a rate so rapid that the effect is a highly competitive environment for your customer’s attention.  The higher numbers of e-mail sent unfortunately doesn’t mean more genuine business messages are hitting their target.  In fact, the opposite is true.  The constant deluge of annoying spam over the past several years has irritated consumers and muddied the waters for all rainmaker real estate agents.

In this situation, your only way to market via email is to use permission-based e-marketing.

Permission-based (opt-in) e-marketing is not intrusive.  It sends targeted e-mail messages only to those users who have requested regular updates on relevant topics.  DoubleClick, Inc. discovered that 75% of consumers say permission-based e-mail is their preferred method of communication.

  • Include a section on all your online response forms where users can click to opt-in for additional help or further information.
  • Give users the opportunity to change their preferences for subject and frequency and unsubscribe options.
  • It’s also a good idea to include a statement in subsequent e-mails reminding recipients they have agreed to receive such messages.

How have you developed your email marketing plan to reach your clients?

 By Permission Only: Email Marketing

Dan Gooder Richard

Dan is the President/Founder of GOODER GROUP - RAINMAKER LEAD SYSTEM. He is also the author of two successful Real Estate books: REAL ESTATE RAINMAKER: Successful Strategies For Real Estate Marketing (Wiley) and REAL ESTATE RAINMAKER: Guide To Online Marketing (Wiley).

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn

« Older posts

Categories

Connect with Gooder Group

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinyoutube

Subscribe by Email

Comment or Suggestion?

We encourage you to to partake in the conversation! However, if you'd like to reach us directly, here is our information:

Phone: 703-698-7750
Twitter: @RERainmaker
Email: social@goodergroup.com

© 2014 Gooder Group

Theme by Anders Noren Up ↑